Sunday 29 September 2013

Shifting stuff

Saturday 28 September

We don't have the alarm set to wake us on the weekends.
Not the radio alarm anyway.
Mr Magoo serves as an alarm as wee ones often do.
So I was still up fairly early.
Once awake I like my early morning coffee!
Half-Pint was still asleep.
Butcher and Chuckles were drowsy but waking.
I fired up the computer to check it out.
Brains and I were a bit perplexed when we connected all the cables last night as there was no port for the phone line.
Ummmm. ......
But all the modem lights were doing what they ought, even the internet one.
And the internet was working so all good :)
I checked out all my programmes and all was good.
The problem this time was that the graphics card had died.
Nothing else was affected so I didn't lose any data.
Vidor, my bro, was going to text me round mid-morning when he was on his way to Wadestown.
So I decided I may as well do some things to keep busy.
Half-Pint had woken by this time and was full of smiles and busyness.
Butcher took their car down for the WOF.
I spent some time backing up files.
Our friend who sorted out the computer last time put a programme on it called SyncToy.
Last time I lost a heap of stuff. I had it backed up on an external hardrive.
Which fried.
I had backed up some stuff but not recently.
So when the computer wouldn't boot up I was thinking I may have lost files again!
With SyncToy I can make additions to a file on the main computer, for example, then when I put in the Flash drive (USB stick) I can choose which file I want and sync the computer and Flash drive.
SyncToy will perform a search and then ask if I want the files added/deleted etc.
I think that's pretty much how it works.
Managed to figure it out, and the beauty of it is that I don't have to remember which files I've backed up. I'll just have to train myself to backup every time I add to the folders and files that are important to me.

 I called and talked to P about the computer. No longer need that cable.
Only the inbuilt graphics card so no games able to be played on the computer.
And I'd figured out the SyncToy properly.

Soon enough it was mid-morning, then noon!
No word from Vidor.
I'd  called Johnsonvale and they were open to visitors again.
So Pa was wanting to go down and see Ma.
And Vidor needed to be let in to the house.
I sent him a text saying it would most likely be just me at the house.
He said that was fine.
He was waiting for his mate with the ute.

By this time Butcher, Chuckles and Half-Pint had returned from the walk they'd gone on.
They arrived back with their car which had passed it's warrant.
One less thing to worry about...for this time.
They were heading back to Featherston.
While we were seeing them off Brains called out to me that Vidor was on the phone.
His mate had forgotten about the shift!

Vidor asked if my van had a towbar. Yes, it does.
And so began a busy afternoon!

Locket decided to come with me.
Boar checked the oil and water and we were off.

I drove to Wainuiomata to pick up Vidor.
Then to his mate's place to get him, then to the mate's niece's home to get her.
Cos it was her place the stuff was being stored in.
Then part way down the Coast Road to another home to pickup a trailer.
These places were all in Wainuiomata.

After getting some petrol we headed to Naenae to drop T off.
She needed to make some room in the house the things were going to be stored in.
Then it was back along the motorway to Johnsonville.
I'd forgotten to take the Power of Attorney papers that needed signing.
I also picked up some tie-downs to secure the furniture to the trailer.
Then over to Wadestown.

With a bit of juggling and putting the back seats in the van up we managed to get all the furniture in.
It's strange but the thing that seemed to make the place look empty was the table and chairs going from the kitchen/dining area.
57 years of history...that's how long Ma & Pa have had it.
I'm glad Vidor has taken it as it is staying in the family.

Once the trailer was loaded we began the reverse trip.
We went down the hill from Wadestown and along the Hutt Road to the Hutt Motorway.
Less winding roads that way.
I haven't done a lot of towing so I took it really carefully.
I found the van and trailer moved around quite a bit.
Nothing shifted though so that was good.

We had a good trip out to Naenae, got things unloaded quickly.
Vidor and K were keen for us to get back to Wainuiomata before the light faded.
We did manage that and also the rain began just as we dropped the trailer off.
Dropped Vidor and K at the place where Vidor was staying.

Locket and I were both tired and hungry.
I knew Frosty was getting dinner ready at home but decided to get us a snack.
Drove through the McD's and got Locket some fries and a drink.
Just fries for me. I was hungry, more than anything, and could feel a headache coming on.
I wanted to avoid that if possible and thought it was partly due to lack of food during the day.
Then it was back along the motorway to Johnsonville.

Phew! A lot of driving but it got done.
Vidor was very grateful that I'd been able to do the job, and that the van has a tow bar.
His car does but he'd leant it to the daughter of a friend for a few weeks.

When we got home dinner was almost ready.
Frosty had made lasagne.
One ordinary, one gluten free and one vegetarian.
With roast potatoes, boiled carrots and cabbage.

Dinner was a little later than usual so it wasn't long before Pa was heading for bed.
I tucked myself up soon after.
Daylight saving begins tonight or 3am tomorrow anyway.

Locket has been having trouble falling asleep some nights.
Settling down early enough but just not able to fall asleep.
I suggested she try a glass of hot milk with honey and nutmeg the other night.
She wasn't too sure but tried it and pronounced it yummy.
If I'm having trouble sleeping it has helped me.

Some people consider it a bit of an old wives tale.
I've heard that science has proven it does contain a natural sedative.
I found some info on it just before.

  • Drink a glass of warm milk before bedtime. Warm milk contains a natural sedative called tryptophan.
  • Adding honey to warm milk will help the body absorb tryptophan faster and will also produce a quicker sedative effect.
  • http://chetday.com/insomniatips.htm
  •  I found I was only able to read a few pages of my book.


    This book tells how Cadfael came to his decision to be a monk.
    I belong to an email list that is a buy-sell-swap for home educators.
    This book popped up a couple of weeks ago and since I'm reading through the series I decided to purchase it.

    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    I enjoy hearing your thoughts on my posts. Thank you for commenting :)